Wednesday, September 28, 2005

To my cancer,

pathetic - absolutely pathetic.

Okay, so I vomited four times last night. But, you know what? I grinned through it all. Want to know why? Because every time I threw up, I knew that whatever this poison is doing to me, it is killing you. That poison is circulating around your cells, crushing your tentacles into my flesh and making you withdraw. Time for YOU to realise what having cancer is like. Actually, time for you to realise that you picked the wrong victim because this collection of cells here is going to fight you every step of the way. And guess what, I am not a victim. Nope, this here collection of tissue is a hero, and you and your pathetic bunch of replicating cells are going to be the victims, scuttling out of my body like rats down a pipe.

Go on, do your worst - make me sick, make me feel constantly nauseous, make me tired, but you aren't going to kill me. Nope, that privilege is reserved for you, because I am going to kill you, make no mistake about it. I am going to delight in seeing you shrivel, seeing you shrink and seeing you slide into nothingness, and guess what? No one is going to remember you, no one is going to mourn for you and I am going to open the most wonderful bottle of champagne when I hear those wonderful words that trumpet to the world of your demise and my triumph. ALL CLEAR!

I feel the liquid searing through my veins, I picture in my head the hordes of attacking poisons charging your non-existent defences, and feel hard pressed to keep the grin off my face.

You have so picked the wrong person this time.

Minerva

16 comments:

Londinium said...

Can I just say, before anyone else does: "You go, girl!" ;-)

Lx

littlefeet said...

no shit...

i am in tears...this is so awesome...huge hugs to you...

you go, grrl...

peace...

Lizzie said...

You go Girl! We'll all be cheering you on.

Crazy Like A Fox said...

You are so brave and courageous. Your positive attitude will see you through this.

Aragorn said...

Keep up the battle. One great punch ! - Aragorn

kenju said...

I wanted to be the first to say "YOU GO GIRL", but my computer was messing up this afternoon and I couldn't get into your comments.

With an attitude like that, you will beat everything bad in your life!!

JC said...

Ah, my warrior princess, I am so proud of you. Keep thinking about that shrinking thing and shooting daggers at it. I am so proud of you!

Scarlett said...

Dear Minerva,
I am reading your blog on a daily basis and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rainypete said...

Why is it that I hear Richard Wagner's Die Walk├╝re in the background?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm sooo glad I'm not a tumor right now. Your picture will be entrenched as the ultimate villain of cancer. Can I have your autograph?

Gary said...

Good Luck with your struggle!!

You can beat this thing!!

magdelena said...

Minerva kicks ass. That fighting spirit makes me want to run around the room. Beautiful. You inspire and humble me. Much love.

3rdtimesacharm ( 3T ) said...

Your bravery, positive attitude and fighting spirit are indeed an inspiration, and humbling as Magdelena said.

WOW, Minerva.

All my love and prayers to you.

3T

Loquacious Curmudgeon said...

I believe you whole heartedly. Go get 'em, Minerva!

still life said...

You are absolutely right, no victims here!

Kevin said...

Rock on, Minerva!

Real Cancer, Real Lives #2 said...

[...] Minerva has written a specacular open letter to her cancer which patients, caregivers and friends alike should read. The post is called To My Cancer and I encourage you to visit for some inspiration! [...]