Saturday, August 21, 2010

Goal setting

We don't do enough of it; we certainly don't think enough about the lives we lead. In other words, setting goals and plans for the future.  That is why, just before my own New Year, as the school year is to me, I sit down, and think through where I want to be in a year, three years and even five or ten years.  I haven't dared to this for ages; too frightened to think about the next treatment but as I have only a year to go before my 'five years' is up, I am eagerly peering around the door, trying to peek into the next room, the next year.  I have been on hold over the last 4 years.  I have dreams, plans for the future, and am only just starting to unpack the attic box of the future, dusting off hopes and fears that I had almost forgotten I had.  An extension for the house perhaps, painting the inside, writing a 'proper' book, thinking about the next career move.

How much we take the future for granted.  How much we assume that we will be around to 'direct' what is ahead of us, that the next career step is precisely that, and we don't spend any time on the possible chasm that may open up in between.  We take the future as a given.   We take our health, and the health and presence of those closest to us utterly for granted.  We probably have to in that if we did think about the potential dangers of all that we do, we would quit in horror; throw our hands up in the air and put up the white flag immediately. After all, the boyfriend could be in a car crash tomorrow, the daughter might get skin cancer from being in the garden, and I could trip down the stairs and break my neck tonight.  Already, I am scared stiff and I am still at the computer writing.

But it is worth the time to consider the risks of everyday life, to understand how lucky we are that we are able to plan for next year, or even three years after that without having the shadow of the present fog our future.

Enjoy the planning, the goal setting and the dreams, but don't forget to give thanks for our present.

Minerva

21 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Some are too nervous to think of the future, but we have to, no matter what obstacles come along.

Goddess Empress of the Universe said...

I am so happy to see that you are well! Enjoy you planning and enjoy your future!

emergingontheotherside said...

See, I always knew you were an honorary Jew. Chicken soup and everything. :-) (Private joke...)


It's great to hear you sounding so positive and upbeat -- in fact, it's great to read you, full stop.

Happy new year!

Minx x

kenju said...

Very good advice. It's always good to read a post here. Hope you remain well.

Mesothlelioma Symptoms said...

optimism sometimes is the best medicine.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I've missed your voice.

Athēnā said...

Loved it Minerva, although I am very pessimistic atm.

poet said...

i re linked you on my blog (had you listed on my old hideaway, and now my new blog. now i have a lot of catching up to do. but i wanted you to know i'm back too. ~~
poet
http://poetsnewoldplace.blogspot.com

Frankie Dolan said...

Ditto - glad to see you are well - thought to look you up as it is a long time since I read your blog last and I was curious to see how you are getting on. Take care!

Ciera said...

Likewise! I've been watching up on some blogs, haven't been around in years I'm afraid, and was sooo glad to see you're doing well! :)

I wish I could get my boyfriend to understand how fragile life is, and how quickly it can be over, but he's young yet and still like to drive like the Dukes Of Hazzard!

el cajon condo said...

the best thing about setting your goals is that you always have a determination to move on, even in the darkest hours. Besides, if you don't achieve that goal of yours , you do manage to learn a lesson or two.

Doris said...

Hello my dear Minerva - it has been a long time and long journeys. It is so good to see you here tentatively trying out the keys and curious that you keep coming back to this blog rather than any new ones. Not many months until the five years is up but how wonderful that the past becomes just a part of your life and not the whole you.

I have been thinking about that month of December in 2007 when I took part in Holidailies - writing a post every day for a whole month and considering I seem to write two posts a year these days it seems a tad ambitious, but somehow desirable to me. And then I see in 2007 that I had the idea from you .... but I can not find any central resource gearing up to do it this year. As if last year was the last. That doesn't stop me from doing it anyway but in the process of considering it I thought I'd give you a cheery wave. We have a mutual friend who I know lives your way now. This has been quite a year with so much to be thankful for. Worth celebrating!

I hope you continue to be very happy in love and life. Doris x

Xoheb Sheikh said...

simply beautiful!

CeritaSejati said...

Keep up the good work, I love reading your blog, good planning.

Tony said...

Hope you are well.

Just heard that my cancer is cured, sort of, and that I can now expect to live long enough to die of something else, so that's all right.

I never did tell you the rude little Miss Muffet rhyme, did I?

AML said...

Thinking of future always gets me down. It makes me feel depressed specially when I think of how I might end up (I'm a pessimist). But now I try to think positive and when i think of future or plan for the future, I think of the best results and situations. It has helped me a lot.

Michael Manning said...

Stopped by after a long absence, my friend, just to say "Hello"! :)

dr.shawn said...

Don't stop dreaming, we are here for the future not for today...continue writing you have a good taste in life.

kenju said...

Minerva, I found your name in an old comment and I am wondering how you are?

Admin said...

Very good advice ...

Very cool site .... i like the great design too ..

Khyzyr
http://amazinglycoolbox.blogspot.com

Tansu Uslu said...

Very good advice. It's always good to read a post here. Hope you remain well.